Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Alive and Kicking

Hi All!
Sorry (again) for the long delay in posts; it's been a busy week.  Today was the first day of school in these here parts, for my little Kate.
I can't believe she'll be gone all day now; from 9:15 to 3:30. It seems like an eternity! And already this morning I have been so discombobulated, feeling like there is someone missing.  I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like when Christian starts! He goes in tomorrow for his assessment and then starts next Tuesday for good.  It's going to be SO WEIRD only having Owen (and Savannah) here.  
Anyway, I'm doing well. =)

Erin-I just got your email this morning; I haven't been on the computer.  I will email you back, but I also am going to address some of your concerns here because it's possible others have the same concerns. =)  Thanks for your love and care. 

Things are going well. I think I've pretty much decided to do the 17 Day Diet, and if I feel I absolutely need a scone, then I'll have one.  And call it good.  I desperately need to get some groceries, as our cupboards are pretty bare currently. So I plan to stock up on fruits and veggies, lean protein and Talking Rain. I've come to love the stuff and it's so much easier for me to drink than water.

When I mentioned earlier that I was fasting and drinking coffee and water, I didn't mean I was doing a coffee fast, or using coffee like a laxative.  Most days I have max 1 cup of coffee (regular, home brewed).  Sometimes I get a 16oz iced americano, but I very rarely finish it.  I meant that I was drinking liquids only (mostly water, with a cup of coffee) until dinner time.  I'm sorry if it came across otherwise.

On HCG- I know it's a highly debatable and controversial topic. For me, it worked.  I lost weight faster and easier than I ever could  have with diet and exercise.  Yes, it messed up my hormones.  But my hormones are wack anyway.  Every little thing sets them off.  They got way out of wack from me being pregnant 5 times in 2.5 years, and it took a long while to get them back to normal range.  That is the only reason I'm not doing HCG again.  If it didn't affect my hormones, I would do it.  The amount of time and energy it takes to diet and exercise to lose the same amount of weight is INSANE.  I'm impatient.  I want results fast, and HCG gives them to me.  Yes, you only eat 500 calories a day, but the HCG is pulling the fat out of your body's reserves and using it for energy.  I know some people think it's hokey, think it's a bad idea, think it's a fad and that is totally fine.  For me, I loved it.  And I'd do it again.  Except for the fact that FOR ME, it messes up my hormones.

SO, since that isn't an option, I need to figure out something else.  And I think it's going to be the 17 Day Diet simply because trying to track calories doesn't really fit into my lifestyle.  And knowing what I can eat is a lot simpler for me.  

My sleep--I've noticed that if I have a glass of wine, then I have very unrestful, fitful sleep with bad dreams. I rarely drink, but I've definitely noticed a correlation here.  If I happen to have caffeine, either coffee or pop late in the day, it affects my sleep too. (Duh.)  I've been sleeping much better lately, with just the rare episode of insomnia.  Now that school has started I think an earlier bedtime is in order for all of us.

I think most bloggers don't share EVERYTHING that's going on in their lives, and neither do I.  So there's more to the story than just what I share here.  But I do love and appreciate your input and comments and ideas and support. 

Losing weight is hard. For me, it's both physical and emotional.  It's a bumpy road to travel, as I find what works for me in all the different seasons of life.  We're coming into fall and I adore baking.  I like having homemade goodies for my friends and family, so that is going to bring new and different trials when it comes to dieting.  

Sorry for the long ramble, but I just didn't want people to have the wrong impression of me or what I'm doing.  I am trying to learn to be healthy.  I may take 2 steps forward and 3 steps back, but I'm still moving.  I'm not giving up. I won't give up until I find a rhythm that works for me; a lifestyle that is healthy and moderate.

1 comment:

  1. Ruth Anne - I really hope that you find something that works for you. I know that I was able to lose almost 50 lb this last year. It was a long road...but, to me, it's a mind over matter thing. I had something in my head (it took over 10 years to 'find' it)...and I did it. Now, I'm maintaining it. It's a great feeling to finally be down to MY weight. You will do it too, in a healthy way!! I know that it's hard with kids. If Josh is home for any amount of time right now (not sure what that situation is right now - I know sometimes he works outside of the house a lot)...I REALLY believe that you should attempt what worked for me. I walked...tons and tons of walking. At the beginning, it was 2 hours 3-6 days a week. Now, I do 45 min. - 60 min. 3-6 days a week. It's nice to have the 'alone' time and it's great to get fit/be healthy. I had changed my eating habits at the beginning also...much less now. I eat almost everything that I want...I just make sure to get out as often as possible. If you have an iPod..use it...if not...GET ONE...and fill it with upbeat..fast paced walking/running music!!! I wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete