Monday, April 8, 2013

Day One

So, I started today. 

I had the Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal for breakfast.  It was gross. :-(  They add soy protein to it, and I don't like the taste of it.  I could get it down, but I definitely won't be ordering more of it.

Later I had a carmel nut bar, and THAT was good. ;-D

I weighed this morning and am using it as my starting weight, despite the fact that I hadn't nursed.  I figure it'll just make the weight loss more dramatic, lol.  I would like to lose 50 pounds; that'll put me at 10 pounds less than where I was when I got pregnant with Nora.

I am so looking forward to shedding these pounds.  It kind of feels like an uphill, insurmountable battle.  Like, why should I even start because it's soooo far to go and so much work.  BUT. It *is* worth it.  And it will be a good lesson in perseverance and endurance.

Lately I've been thinking so much about how, for me anyway, it's a spiritual battle too.  I turn to food instead of turning to God.  So I'm going to really be awake and vigilant to look out for those situations.  And go to Him instead of to my chocolate bin.

Nora still doesn't sleep through the night; the first of my four kiddos that hasn't slept through the night by 4 months.  She is up multiple times, for no apparent reason.  So I'm extremely sleep deprived overall.  My brain doesn't function very well.  Or, at all. ;-)

I've also decided to make two big changes for my family and the food I fix for them.

1) I will start buying organic, grass fed, hormone free chicken and beef.
2) I will start buying organic fruit.

Both of these things are pretty expensive, but it's worth it to me.  I want to try to find some orchards and berry fields this summer that are pesticide free so I can stock up and freeze some berries and apples.  We eat a LOT of berries and apples, so it's important to me that they not be full of pesticides and other junk.

I've also started trying to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup at all costs, thanks to some research done by my bestie Jen.  That stuff is POISON.  And it's in EVERYTHING.  Pretzels? Yep.  Crackers? Yep.  All beef kosher hot dogs? Yep.  Jellies, syrups, spreads? Yep.  Cereal? Yep.  Seriously, if you start looking, it is INSANE how many products it is in.

I don't know if any of you have been following the Monsanto issues in the news?  Here is a good, concise article I found:
 http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-evils-of-monsanto.html

"Ninety percent or more of all US-grown corn, soybeans, canola, and sugar beets are genetically modified versions, which means that virtually all processed food items contain at least one or more genetically modified ingredients."  :-O

Anyway, I'm on a quest.  A quest for better health and nutrition for myself and my family. I feel like there is SO MUCH information to wade through, but once I've figured it out, it will get easier.  I hope.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment