Monday, October 18, 2010

Speechless

On Friday night we got a phone call that will change our lives forever.

My MIL has a brain tumor. She will be having surgery soon, then chemo and radiation. If all goes well, she'll have 5-6 years of life left.

Suddenly, things just got put into perspective.

Weight loss? Sooo not important; at this stage in the game, I'm not morbidly obese. I don't have health issues because of excess fat. It's not a priority.

What IS a priority is my family. The people I love the most. So THAT is what I will focus on.

I'll keep this blog going, just because I would like to lose these last ten pounds. It'd be great if it happens, but if not, it really, really doesn't matter.

I did well with not eating wheat until last night. I ate a bowl of Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal, thinking they were made of OATS. Until I got sick and looked at the ingredients. Wheat is the second ingredient. I ended up throwing up and have been having bowel problems ever since.

Although, I've been sick since I heard the news. But the wheat definitely had something to do with it. I remember now that I went off wheat a while back, before we moved. Then I ate one piece of garlic bread and my stomach was in agony within 5 minutes.

So I plan to steer clear of wheat for the most part.

I made rice pudding this weekend. Rice pudding is something that you either love or hate, in my opinion. I happen to love it, and since it's wheat free, it's a good option for me. I've been nibbling on it since I made it.

I've also been consuming mass quantities of Almond Joys. The coconut and almond and chocolate are a good combo and I've found that I have been eating way more than is necessary, trying to cope with the news that someone whom I hold very dear, someone I respect and love is going to be dealing with some very traumatic things very soon.

I know it's not right. Chocolate can't help anything, in the long run. And I'm so thankful that I am a Christian and can pray. Prayer is powerful.

So... I'm praying for my sweet mother in law. And I'm working to maintain a healthy lifestyle in it all. I don't want to drown myself in chocolate to numb the pain. That doesn't do anybody any favors.

My weigh in today was 139.8; half a pound down despite all the Almond Joys I ate. I know stress and cutting out wheat has something to do with it.

I hope you have a good day, and if you're a Christian I once again ask for your prayers for my wonderful mother in law. We know God can do miracles, and we know He works all things for our best.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. We went through a similar thing with my Dad when I was a little girl. There are no words. You're right, losing the last ten pounds becomes pretty unimportant by comparison. Do remember to take care of yourself and continue eating well though. You and your family will definitely be in my prayers! {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how something like this puts everything in perspective. I will be praying for you and your family during this trying time. Please keep us informed. xo, MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my friend.. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now.. I am so so sorry to hear of this. I hate cancer! I hate it with everything in me, and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your mom in law. :(

    BIG BIG HUG... Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so so sorry for your family.
    prayers and visualizations of miracles your way.


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth Anne, I am so so sorry. I'm sending many prayers out for your MIL and the rest of your family. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete