Friday, June 4, 2010

Diets Make People Crazy

Ok, I know I've said this about a bajillion times before, but I have to say it again. This is the first time ever in my life I've had to diet to lose weight. And I can say, without a shred of doubt, that diets make people crazy.

I was talking with one of my very best friends today (HI Jen!) who just so happens to also be my sister-in-law. =) I was telling her that I didn't realize what a huge part food played in my life, until I couldn't have it. For example, this weekend I'm heading out to help my sister celebrate her 30th birthday. And my excitement over the weekend is just a wee bit tainted or diminished by the fact that I won't be able to eat.

It is stressing me out!!!! Up to this point in my life, I've had a fairly healthy relationship with food. I do head straight for the chocolate come PMS time, and I do tend to eat out of boredom. However, I was pretty good about limiting my chocolate consumption to the week of my period, I never ate ice cream every night, I wouldn't eat bags of chips or entire boxes of Wheat Thins in one go. ;-)

But since I've been on this diet, ALL I THINK ABOUT IS FOOD. And THAT, my friends, is NOT healthy. Now, most people who have done the HCG diet lose their appetite. They don't go around hungry all day. For some reason, I am rip roaring hungry still. And since I can't go get myself a snack of cheese and crackers, I have turned to diet root beer.

I think "diet" products are evil!!! All those chemicals can't be good for you, but they are an option to consume ZERO calories while still enjoying something sweet. I guess I'm mainly talking about diet pop here. As I told Jen, I literally have consumed more Diet A&W in the last 2 weeks than in the past 6 years. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I've never been a big pop drinker. It's too sugary and fattening and I just never really liked it. But when you can have a can of pop for zero calories and there are no other options... Well, by golly, I drink that pop!

Anyway, after dieting for the past 3 weeks, I can clearly see how people who have yo yo dieted for a good portion of their lives can very easily be screwed up by it. It makes food, getting food, eating food your number 1 priority instead of just being something you use to fuel your body and occasionally indulge in just for the taste of it.

I am going to use these last 7 days to really work on my attitude towards food, so that once I begin the maintenance phase and can begin introducing regular food back into my diet, I don't go all crazy psycho please-don't-kill-me-freaky-Jason on myself with the food. ;-)

The scale says I lost another 2 oz today. I don't know what the H-E-double hockey sticks is up with me losing a few ounces at a time, BUT I did notice today that my clothes are definitely fitting different. I do expect my period this week, so maybe some of the bloating is diminishing, but I am wearing a pair of Levi size 12 jeans that, in my opinion, run small. I haven't been able to wear them in I don't know how long, and today they easily zipped and buttoned.

I also put on a vest that I've worn, and before it really made me have a strong resemblance to a sausage in a casing. But today it zipped up with ease and didn't pull around my mid section. SO those are great victories and very encouraging!!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I know I will, DESPITE not being able to snack on all the yummy goodies (or cake! No birthday cake!) :'( Because I am going to enjoy the company of my friends, enjoy the respite from my kiddos and use the time to learn good eating habits and patterns.

Happy Friday, my good friends!

2 comments:

  1. You identified the exact problem with constant dieting. You have had a glimpse into the lives of people who have dieted and gone completely mad. Luckily, this is only your first "diet" and your ultimate goal is to eat healthily once you're down. I applaud you dear RA. HI JEN!!!!!!!!!!!! How's baby growing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, RA. Sending you lots of hugs!
    You know me well enough to know I have a lot of opinions regarding "diet" foods (like, "diet" soda) and while I don't want to go on a rampage about them here... I will say that I don't like them as a "go to" when dieting and craving something sweet... to be honest, I think it makes the craving all the worse... :( Anyway... hang in there! Hugs to you!
    erin

    ReplyDelete