Thursday, September 23, 2010

Homemade Biscotti

Hello and Good Morning!

I made the chocolate almond biscotti yesterday, with the help of my 4 year old son. ;-) It was simple and they turned out well; I prefer my biscotti a bit more on the sweet side, but they are still good. And it's easier to control myself with them. I had my first one this morning with a cup of coffee flavored with peppermint mocha creamer.

Dawnie-I made the recipe out of Clean Eating Recharged.

The dough was REALLY sticky. MEGA MEGA sticky and hard to shape. You're supposed to divide it in two and make two loaves. Basically I just plopped two piles of dough on my cookie sheet and tried to form some semblance of a loaf. Here they are after the first baking:

I know, it doesn't look that appetizing. They smelled a lot better! Once the first baking is done you have to let them cool for 10 minutes, then slice and bake again for 20 more minutes.

I realized after I was done that the almonds I used were expired. By 2 years. :-O I had them in my freezer so I guess they were still ok, just not fresh. Don't ask me how on earth I kept almonds for over 2 years.


In the end you end up with this: (even if you do use really, really, really old almonds)

They weren't hard to make, but they were a little bit more labor-intensive than regular cookies. Especially since you're using clean ingredients. I made these using the Sucanat.

Sucanat smells like really strong molasses. Anyway, you have to mix the Sucanat, egg, egg white, vanilla and almond extracts in a blender for 3-4 minutes until frothy. I used my food processor since I already had it out from grinding the (really, really, really old) almonds and flours together.

I will probably make these again for guests, except I will use fresh almonds. ;-)

In other news, my pelvic bone is soooo sore today! That bike seat was seriously murder on my sit-bones. But I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to do the whole class again, albeit in a modified form.

My weight is hanging out right around 140. I'm gonna stop weighing every day and just weigh once a week, but honestly, I don't even really care about the number anymore. I know that with exercise and eating clean(er) my body will respond as it needs to. I'm not in weight-loss mode anymore, despite being 10 pounds from goal. Instead, I'm in Living Healthy mode.

I'll post my review and pics of the other Clean Eating meals/desserts I plan to try. I need to get some coconut butter (that stuff is EXPENSIVE--$45 for a 16oz jar!?!?) and then I will be able to make a lot more of the recipes.

Well, all my kiddos are up and in rare form so I best go and settle them before the next World War breaks out.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your shift in attitude Ruth Anne. I think you are very wise! I was afraid of making the biscotti b/c of the work! I am VERY impressed. I've gotta steal my friend's new clean eating zucchini loaf recipe for you...it's really delicious.

    ReplyDelete