Thursday, January 27, 2011

Holding Steady

Whew, it's Thursday. The day Josh comes home! He won't be home til way late again, due to some fundraising he's doing for church, but at least he'll join me in the bed at some point. I don't sleep well when he's not here. Not because I'm scared; I actually feel very safe and secure in our house and neighborhood. It's just that Josh and I are cuddlers. In a big way. So when he's not there it's like a vast void. I miss him.

My weight seems to have evened out. I was up 0.2 this morning, which is much more normal than gaining pounds. I feel better, too. The last few days I've been getting killer stomachaches. I have been doing really well at getting in lots of water, although today I've had mostly coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

I had my mom and sister over for our weekly Coffee Thursday visit and I made Joy's Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls. They were mighty delicious. SOOOO good, but very rich. I doubled the inside yumminess, because I omitted the nuts and raisins. I'm not a nuts and raisins girl. Anyway, they would have been just fine without having doubled the gooey part. They were a bit too sweet. But I still managed to eat a whole one, over the course of an hour. =)

Sherah, the granola bar recipe I have is originally from Jen. I'm not sure where she got it, but it's super easy:

2 cups oatmeal
2 cups rice krispys
1/2 cup light karo syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla

Bring karo syrup (and don't try to make your own... it doesn't work! You have to use the premade Karo syrup) and brown sugar to a boil. Once it's at a rolling boil take it off and add the peanut butter and vanilla. (I've been leaving the vanilla out, cuz it doesn't change the taste that much.) Once the peanut butter melts, pour it over the cereal in a big bowl. Quickly mix it all together so the cereal gets coated and then press into a greased 9x13 pan. I just use the back of a rubber spatula to press it into the pan. You CAN double this recipe but you just have to use a little more karo syrup and brown sugar, to make sure you have enough sauce to coat all the cereal. Let it set up for a few minutes and then cut into bars.

Basically it's a similar version of rice krispy treats. But with oatmeal and without marshmallows.

Anyway, sorry for all the food talk. I'm just happy that even with the baking I've been doing, and the consuming of said baked goods, my body seems to be metabolizing it. And I've been being careful not to overeat. To eat slow and stop when I feel full. I like this way of life. =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!! It looks much simpler than the one I made, but I've been wondering how to incorporate peanut butter into it...those look good.

    The ones I made are actually really yummy, and they have honey and wheat bran in them (as well as sugar, but no karo syrup) with dried fruits/sunflower seeds - they caught my eye because they are called "Playgroup Granola Bars" lol. Here's the recipe:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Ruth Anne, I always seem to be talking about food (e.g. pizza) too on this weight loss blog of mine! and BTW, do you actually know people industrious enough to make their own Karo syrup cause I don't!

    ReplyDelete