Tuesday, May 25, 2010

2 new recipes

Morning!

I lost about half a pound today. I am retaining water though, so I'm not too concerned. I accidentally had quite a bit of salt yesterday. I say accidentally because it was one of those situations where the salt came out too fast but I couldn't throw away my precious ration of food! ;-)

Here is what I ate last night:


Chicken and broccoli sprinkled with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning and (too much) garlic salt.

This is what my family had:




Cheese biscuits (made from Bisquick with some mexican cheese mixed in) and lentil chili topped with more mexican cheese and sour cream. It turned out really good... so I hear. ;-) My daughter asked for seconds, my middle guy hemmed and hawed but ate it all. My 2 year old had a lengthy time out but ended up eating it in the end. =)

The recipe was really simple, and BONUS POINTS since it can be made in the crock pot, which I did. =)

I dumped this all into the crock pot:
4c Organic Vegetable broth
1 1/4 c lentils (washed and drained)
1 14.5oz can of stewed tomatoes with basil and oregano (juice and all)
1 t chili pepper
1 t thyme
1 t oregano

Since I didn't think about it until 1:30pm, I put the crock pot on high and let it cook for 4 hours. It soaked up almost all the broth and ended up being a hearty meal. It was especially delicious (at least it looked and smelled fantastic) once the mexican cheese and sour cream were mixed in. Chock full of protein, and if you use low fat cheese and fat free sour cream it won't be high in fat either. I saved a bowl in the freezer for when I can eat "real" food again so I can try it for myself. =)

The next recipe I have is from one of my bestest friends, Jen. She originally got it from HERE. If you haven't been introduced to Eat, Live, Run go there now. Jenna has an amazing site with LOTS of good recipes.

Anyway, I thought SUNSHINE MAMA in particular might like this recipe, as it has no flour or sugar in it and is fortified with lots of protein.

The recipe on Jenna's site only makes 2 large pancakes, so I quadrupled it. I got 12 pancakes out of a quadrupled batch. They are very hearty, so you don't need a big ol' flapjack. ;-)

I put:
2 cups egg whites (I just bought the carton of egg whites from the store. My friend Jen said she just measured out the same amount of whole eggs... so crack however many eggs it takes to get to 2 cups.)
2 cups oatmeal (I only have rolled oats, but I am going to buy steel cut and try those as well).

Anyway, you mix the egg whites and oatmeal and let it sit overnight. So this is a make-ahead recipe. You probably could make them sooner, you just have to let the oats soak up the eggs and get nice and soft.

Then I added 2 bananas (they were very ripe and easy to mash), 1T vanilla, 2t baking powder and 1t salt.

Mix it all up and fry it on the griddle. The batter is NOT like traditional pancake batter; it's not runny- it's pretty thick. I just spooned the batter onto my griddle, which I had greased with some butter (but you can also use Pam or whatever).

NOTE: IT'S IMPORTANT TO SPREAD THE BATTER FAIRLY THIN. Otherwise the pancakes rise too much (so maybe I should just cut back on the bkg powder) and the pancakes tend to fall apart. If you spread the batter evenly and thinly it cooks through and doesn't crumble.

Then you can top it with almond butter, peanut butter, jam, mashed banana, whatever your little heart desires.

SO here's the condensed version of the recipe:

2c egg whites
2c oats
2 bananas, mashed
1T vanilla
2t baking powder (but you could probably get away with less)
1t salt

Mix egg whites and oats and let sit overnight in the fridge. In the morning mix in the rest of the ingredients and fry up on a griddle. Top with whatever you want and enjoy!



(That batch is the batch I made too thick. You can see how they are sort of separating and just too thick)

So there you have it, 2 new recipes. Hope you enjoy them!

My kids didn't like the banana in the pancakes, so I'm going to try substituting cinnamon applesauce or maybe even pureed strawberries next time. I also think that I didn't mash the banana enough, so there were some chunks of banana that were too slimy for my kids. So I'll be trying the banana again as well, and just making sure it's smooth before adding to the batter.

I'm off to drink my cup of tea. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. That's one tiny chicken breast! You have amazing discipline RA!

    ReplyDelete