Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oooh, interesting!

I just read this over on Big Bottom Blogger:

"In an article entitled ‘Forget the Fat-Burn Zone’, Clarence Bass cites research done by a group of Canadian scientists, headed by Angelo Tremblay, Ph.D. Tremblay, et al, compared the results of an Endurance Training (ET) program versus High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on fat loss:
“As you might expect, the total energy cost of the ET program was substantially greater than the HIIT program. The researchers calculated that the ET group burned more than twice as many calories while exercising than the HIIT program. But (surprise, surprise) skin-fold measurements showed that the HIIT group lost more subcutaneous fat. ‘Moreover,’ reported the researchers, ‘when the difference in the total energy cost of the program was taken into account..., the subcutaneous fat loss was nine-fold greater in the HIIT program than in the ET program.’ In short, the HIIT group got 9 times more fat-loss benefit for every calorie burned exercising.”

That was encouraging for me, seeing as I've been doing HIIT but noticing it doesn't burn NEARLY as many calories as, say, doing 45 minutes on the elliptical. So I'll keep on keeping on! I still plan to do the Shred. But maybe I can add in 20 minutes of HIIT 3x a week as well. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Well, if the info comes from Canada, it must be the gospel truth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to google the shred to see what it's all about, and watched the preview on Amazon. It looks really good! I think you're going to do awesome at it. Just shoot for doing a little more every time you do it, and you'll start feeling the difference in your body.

    I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! I'm a Mom, like you.....and need to be as efficient as possible when I find time to exercise (usually only every other day)! So..the whole 9x more fat burning definitely got my attention!

    30 Day shred is actually HIIT! Those cardio bits get the heart RIGHT on up there!

    I have changed my exercise a bit as a result of that research as well. When I do weights now...I make sure to jump rope (100-200 times...I get sloppier as the workout goes on....) between every couple lifts...and jump on the insanely horrid "real" stair machine and crank it up to level 8 or 9 for 5 minutes every so often during the workout. I am also trying....on my running days...to do some intervals in there. This is harder because running still requires my total undivided attention..and changing it up sorta throws me off kilter. (I am lame)

    And...YES...the 30 day shred is great. I keep forgetting that is in my lineup....I should squeeze that in at least twice a week! I like level 2 better than 1 because there are not as many pushups. I am a pushup wimp (working on it). I can plank till the cows come home...but still struggle with a full real pushup. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete